If you followed Kids Clothes Week you saw a lot of this sweater. It is the Bimaa Sweater from Lou Bee Patterns. After seeing different iterations of it, I had to have the pattern. I mean like I dreamt about … Continue reading
After making an Oliver and S library dress for one of Ella’s friends, she decided she wanted the same dress. Of course that fabric was gone so I pulled together some fabric from my stash to make her dress. The main dress fabric was bought for a Book Report dress that I didn’t make. And the waistband is left over from last summer’s shorts. I knew the fabrics were a sure thing because they are all a pinkish color.
This time I decided that I didn’t want to do all those button holes nor did I have enough matching buttons in my house. But I did have a bunch of twelve inch invisible zippers kicking around. I continued the circular shape of the facing so it ended at the back seam rather than continuing the facing down the back. I also made sure to cut the back pieces without the notch out where the longer facing would have sewn in. I didn’t make the back pieces smaller to account for the overlap but I did use a 5/8″ seam on the back rather than 1/2″ inch. This was my third invisible zipper install. Each time I think I have gotten better at it. I did rip this one out once because I hadn’t ironed the zipper quite flat enough before installing it. Ironing it a second time (this time with a pressing cloth because I was afraid of melting the plastic) seemed to do the trick to open up the zipper and getting a great install.
Ella is measuring between a four and a five so I made the dress in a five. I have a secret hope that she’ll be able to wear the dress in the fall also. The front seemed a bit low when I put it on her, so I hand-sewed a triangle of the waistband fabric into the v-neck to bring it up a bit. If the dress mostly fits her in the fall, I’ll be able to take it out to get a bit more wear out of the dress.
I am loving this pattern. As I’ve said before it looks complicated but it is so well explained in the directions that it is not difficult to make. I am really looking forward to make lighter weight summer dresses with this pattern. But as we are under a foot of snow here with more coming, I am waiting a bit on my summer sewing.
Note: I interfaced the waistband with a lightweight interfacing since it is a quilting cotton and the rest of the dress is a bottom-weight with a bit of stretch.
And remember how I said the fabrics were a sure thing? Well Ella has pretty much refused to put the dress on. It is either because I put it on her a bunch of times to fit it (which she hates) or she doesn’t like the dress. So for now it’s hanging in her closet hoping to catch her eye.
I’ve been saving almost a yard of Jay Cyn Bird Blossoms from Fabricworm with the intention of putting a decorative panel on my very old Ergo Sport. I have cute little teething/strap covers out of this fabric but with the amount the carrier gets spit up upon, it didn’t seem like the best use for the rest of the fabric.
Instead I decided to make yet another Geranium Dress for Delilah. It is just one of those patterns that really suits her. This time I planned on it being a jumper to be worn with a long sleeve shirt under it. With a corduroy bodice, it should carry her right through the winter and I’m hopeful she’ll wear it in the spring with a cardigan as well.
I didn’t have quite enough to get a two back skirt pieces out of the fabric. So I cut two fronts. For the back panel, I slit the fabric where it met the bodice and did a tiny rolled hem to finish the opening. The skirt is full enough that my make-do way worked out.
I added a black ribbon to the bottom of the bodice. I guess I am going through a black, white and red phase.
Delilah styled this herself with a black shirt and leggings under the dress.
And the back without the seam.
I love this pattern. It is simple to make and has so many options it lends itself so nicely to customization. The pictures in the directions make it possible for even a beginner to make this pattern with a very finished looking result. And it comes together quickly so it worked perfectly for Kids Clothes week.