The second I saw the Oliver and S Playtime dress pattern playtime dress I knew I had to have it. The dress is similar in style to many of my younger daughter’s “go to” dresses so I knew there would be little fight about wearing the dress once it was done.
I let Delilah, age 3.5, choose the fabric from the red tag selection at Joann’s. While there are some instances where I don’t mind spending a little extra on fabric, it didn’t make sense to me to sew up a dress that was going to be worn mostly for play with full price fabric. Delilah chose a printed baby corduroy that is very much her style. Anytime I have let her choose her own fabrics for projects she almost always selects small prints.
The challenge with the pattern began when I realized I ordered the wrong size. I ordered the one that starts at size 5. Delilah will be four in February but she is small for her age. She is just now starting to wear a size 3t. She has long torso and short legs so I was pretty confident that I could make the pattern smaller rather than ordering a new one.
To make the pattern smaller I cut each bodice piece and facing half an inch smaller. This made the bodice an inch smaller overall. I took the half inch off where the patten piece would be placed on the fold. On the back pieces I took the half inch off near where the dress opens. If I had just made the dress half an inch smaller at the side seams, the neck opening would have been huge and the shoulders would have been off. I didn’t shorten the bodice length to account for Delilah’s long torso. To determine the best length, I just cut the skirt two inches longer than a similarly styled dress that we own. I also moved the pockets up a bit to account for Delilah’s short arms.
Even with all of my changes the dress still sewed together easily and quickly. I decided not to add the collar design or the pocket design because it wouldn’t have really shown up on the fabric Delilah chose.
Once the dress was done, I felt like something was missing. So I added a grosgrain ribbon at the waist. I edge stitched the ribbon and tucked it under the facings so the inside would still look finished.
Delilah loved the dress and I think the fit worked out okay.